Bake with me (virtually)!
Let’s make Braided Spinach Stuffed Herbed Bread together--it sounds complicated but I’ll show you some tips and tricks to make it easier. This recipe is a vegan, gluten-full yeast bread, and it gets accolades from nearly everyone I serve it to. It’s perfect as a snack or as part of a meal—I love pairing it with a soup. I recommend using half whole-wheat flour, and half white bread flour for the dough, but you can use whatever all-purpose or bread flour (glutenous) you have around and it should turn out. If you are sensitive/allergic to gluten, please note that I have tried making this recipe in the past with a gluten-free flour blend from Trader Joe’s and it totally failed, but perhaps you have figured out how to make these sorts of things work for you.
The bread braid can be made into many different forms-- straight, circular, or even heart-shaped (my favorite!). Who doesn’t want a little slice of love at the end of the day?
Make/mix/pour yourself beverage treat of your choice and join us Thursday evening at 6:00p. We’ll mix, knead, and concoct for about an hour and then we will take a 20 minute break at 7:00ish while the dough finishes rising. When we resume, we will roll out the dough, stuff it with the spinach filling, and bake it to perfection. If all goes well, we’ll be munching our masterpieces by about 8:00p. See you in the kitchen!
Please acquire these ingredients in advance of the Meetup and have them ready to use:
• 1.25 oz yeast
• ½ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 pinch granulated sugar
• 6 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
• 1.5 cups white bread flour, plus more as needed
• 16 ounces of frozen, chopped spinach
• 2/3 cup raw cashews
• ½ cup toasted pine nuts
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons dried basil
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
• 1 Tablespoon powdered sage
We'll use Jitsi for our video hangout because it's quick and easy - no signup/account required.
• Computer (preferred) - Video chat with a computer is a much better experience than the mobile app. Go to https://meet.jit.si/SVSV from Chrome or Firefox browser, and allow access to your microphone and camera. Safari on Mac doesn't seem to work well.
• Smartphone (if computer not available) - If you cannot join via computer, then download the "Jitsi Meet" Android or iOS app and enter room name "SVSV" and join.
--> Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jitsi.meet
--> iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jitsi-meet/id1165103905